Monday, February 20, 2012

Get back to where you once belonged

Although I'm sure many of you have grown to enjoy the uncharacteristic lack of newsfeed posts hounding you to visit my blog, I'm back. For those of you out of the loop, allow me to [vaguely] bring you up to speed on my absence. I am now living in my own place after a challenging couple of months which resulted in the loss of an internet connection to say the very least.. As difficult a process as it has been, it's now an all new year and truly a fresh start in the strictest sense.

While not every earthly artifact has found its rightful place, Grady (my trusty bulldog companion) and I have had a chance to adjust to our far more limited living space. We're getting along alright. He doesn't ask for much. Food and water, a chew toy, an occasional ride to go hang with his bitches. When I'm gone too long he might chew things in protest, but it's never anything of real value... Or so I think. A shredded roll of paper towels is no big deal until I come home later and step ankle deep in coffee grounds from a freshly rummaged trash can. I don't lose sleep over a mangled chip-clip until a week later when I bight into a stale pretzel stick. It does depend on how we're defining "value," but at least he leaves the furniture and guitars alone. He's kind of afraid of them actually.

Some would argue that dogs do possess mystical knowledge far exceeding their primitive demeanor. Looking at Grady I'd kindly disagree. Frankly, he's dumber than a bucket of hair, but unabashedly so. When I leave he has no reason to believe I'll be back, and when I come back he has no reason to believe his bowl will be filled. When you lack the mental capacity of forethought, you lack the mental capacity of expectation. He simply appreciates my company and care, oblivious to the fact that I would never dream of abandoning him or letting him go hungry. Those who claim dogs have "much to teach us about how to live happily" are ironically intellectualizing their philosophy by observing their dog's lack of reasoning skills... Silly humans. Always thinking too much. It's simple:

Expect nothing
Appreciate everything
No humping
No drooling

It's stupid how smart we are sometimes.

Anyway, sorry it's been so long. Thanks for checking back and I'll keep writing if you keep reading. Deal?

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant as always. (J.C) there, now I am no longer Anonymous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha honesty with a side of humor. fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can always come back to your blog for a reality check. When life gets pretty insane, closely resembling the reality shows on TV these days, I refresh myself with a new perspective using such simple comparisons for the most important life lessons. I really value your simplicity. It gets me through each complicated week. You passively hold a great power of influence.

    ReplyDelete